Labels

Background Image

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Vintage Inspiration

This summer I was looking at these old dresses of mine in the back of the closet and I noticed that there were three in different sizes and it looked like they were just the right sizes for my three girls. My photographer/mommy brain immediately knows I will need a picture of the girls in these dressed and I'll need to somehow incorporate Samuel. I knew I would have to particularly get a shot of Mackenzie in the smallest dress because I have a huge 1970's photo of me in the dress. When we ask her who that is in the photo she says "that's Kenzie". I would probably style almost all my shoots vintage if it were up to me :)

Also, I had to try out a new prop I bought. I found a chair on Craigslist for $25 but the fabric was a floral print that wouldn't have photographed so well. I saw a pin on Pinterest about how to paint a fabric chair rather than reupholster. Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about! You start by spraying the fabric down with a water bottle and painting with a flat paint and then painting. (It would have been much faster to just water down some of the paint to start with). That layer is like a primer, then you do a second coat. As far as the texture and quality it came out perfect, HOWEVER, the color I hoped would be cranberry turned out hot pink!! I was bummed because I knew if I painted over it I  would loose the texture....so I had to do it again. It worked out fine for a prop but maybe next time I'll be more fortunate in the outcome of my color selection.

Here are my favorite people in the WHOLE world.....









No comments:

Post a Comment